Best Places to visit in Munich
Munich is the third largest city in Germany, situated on the River Isar on the fringes of the Bavarian Alps. It is a historic city and You can follow the lines of Munich’s medieval walls in a ring of curving streets and see three of its impressive old city gates. This green city is known for its beautiful parks, museums, and beautiful palaces. Munich’s numerous architectural and cultural attractions, sports events, exhibitions and its annual Oktoberfest attract considerable tourists. Here is the list of best places to visit in Munich.
Marienplatz is a central square in the city center of Munich, Germany. It has been the city’s main square since 1158. It was named after the Mariensäule, a Marian column erected in its center in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation. Today the Marienplatz is dominated by the New City Hall (Neues Rathaus) on the north side, and the Old City Hall (Altes Rathaus, a reconstructed Gothic council hall with a ballroom and tower) on the east side.
Theatine Church (Theatinerkirche)
The Theatine Church of St. Cajetan is a Catholic church in Munich, built from 1663 to 1690, it was founded by Elector Ferdinand Maria and his wife, Henriette Adelaide of Savoy, as a gesture of thanks for the birth of the long-awaited heir to the Bavarian crown, Prince Max Emanuel, in 1662.
The church was built in Italian high-Baroque style, inspired by Sant’Andrea della Valle in Rome, designed by the Italian architect Agostino Barelli. His successor, Enrico Zuccalli, added two 66 meters high towers, originally not planned, and then finished the 71-metre high dome in 1690. The church is 72 meters long and 15.5 meters wide. The facade in Rococo style was completed only in 1768 by François de Cuvilliés. Its Mediterranean appearance and yellow coloring became a well known symbol for the city and had much influence on Southern German Baroque architecture.
The Residenz in central Munich is the former royal palace of the Wittelsbach monarchs of Bavaria. The Residenz is the largest city palace in Germany and is open to visitors for its architecture, room decorations, and displays from the former royal collections. The complex of buildings contains ten courtyards and displays 130 rooms. The three main parts are the Königsbau (near the Max-Joseph-Platz), the Alte Residenz (Old Residenz; towards the Residenzstraße) and the Festsaalbau (towards the Hofgarten). Today, the Residenz houses a number of monuments and museums, including the Residenz Museum, the Treasury, the Court Church of All Saints (Allerheiligen-Hofkirche), and Cuvilliés-Theater. The Munich Residence and its museums have receive more than 300,000 visitors per year.
The Frauenkirche (Cathedral of Our Dear Lady) is a church in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, that serves as the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising and seat of its Archbishop. It is a landmark and is considered a symbol of the Bavarian capital city. Although called “Münchner Dom” (Munich Cathedral) on its website, the church is referred to as “Frauenkirche” by locals.
The Frauenkirche was constructed from red brick in the late Gothic style within only 20 years. The building is designed very plainly, without rich Gothic ornaments and its buttresses moved into and hidden in the interior. This, together with the two tower’s special design, lets the construction, mighty anyway, look even more enormous and gives it a near-modern appearance.
The Englischer Garten or English Garden is a large public park in the center of Munich, Bavaria, stretching from the city center to the northeastern city limits. It was created in 1789 by Sir Benjamin Thompson, later Count Rumford, for Prince Charles Theodore, Elector of Bavaria. With an area of 3.7 km2, the Englischer Garten is one of the world’s largest urban public parks.
The St. Johann Nepomuk, better known as the Asam Church or Asamkirche, is a Baroque church in Munich, southern Germany, built from 1733 to 1746 by the brothers, sculptor Egid Quirin Asam, and painter Cosmas Damian Asam as their private church. It is considered to be one of the most important buildings of the southern German Late Baroque.